Monday 27 April 2009

The Abstract of the Day

My interests in historical typologies and adapting existing buildings for contemporary use led me to my choice of a vacant building on the limit of the 10th Arrondissement as the site for my thesis project.

The history of Parisian society and the trends of its architecture and urban development from 1540 to present day combined with the study of the impact of modernity’s spatio-temporal acceleration and the alienation between self and other make up the background research.

My thesis attempts to understand and offer a solution to the conflict between the self and the porosity, transparency and speed that resulted from modernity; a solution to the dichotomy between the human need for intimacy and a connection with the other in the urban context of Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment