Wednesday 11 May 2011

The Birthday

Here it comes, more food... !
For Lyaz's birthday I decided to give him a nice dinner.

Aside: I had intended on framing the print of roman north africa that I had given him for his birthday last year, but the lady insisted that she did not sell premade frames, a pile of which were sitting in front of me, and to which I made reference, and that she only did custom jobs. These custom jobs took 15 days and the prices that she quoted me were between 110€ and 85€ for which I was supposed to be thankful that she was throwing in the "very nice, extra special bevelled matting" for free. I didn't have the gumption to tell her that I could buy a piece of matt for 5€ and I have a bevel cutter at home (unfortunately for me it's in canada). I did however walk out after telling her that the budget was only 50€ a price that is still high for something that I could do (given I had my tools here) myself for a little under 20€, but at least imagineable.

In any case, being that the framing was out of range, dinner was the gift I settled on.

Although it was not possible to do it the night that I had originally intended, I got it on the table for the next morning when he got home from work!

Menu

Entrée
Shellfish Platter
(shrimp and whelks with lemon mayonnaise)


Salad
Fresh Leafy Greens 
with tomatoes from france and avacado (from who knows where)

Plat
Whole Wild Bass 
baked in a papillotte with julienned carotte and celery root


Cheese Course
Tome de chèvre
and
Epoisse


Dessert
...
(after all that I didn't make a cake, I am rather ashamed of myself, 
however, I will make one after exams for the both of us)
All in all I will admit that it wasn't my best showing, but one might say, that for a mid exam meal, it wasn't too bad!

He slept well afterwards, which is the most important thing at 8 in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment