Friday 29 July 2011

The Surprise Flowers


Well the time has flown and since my last post, (The Groundwork had been written in May I just forgot to hit post) many things have happened. Many things of which I had meant to post however circumstances did not permit and my patience and attention for the most part was elsewhere. 


Beginning with the second round of exams and following through my visit home to Canada. In any case, I will now attempt to catch up to myself!


When we arrived in the appartement there were a few random things left on the balcony. Among these forelorn objects were some rusty bits of oranmental metal, a couple of old pots, a 1/4 of a bag of clay balls meant to cover the soil in your pots for added moisture containment and some very dead stocks in a pot. Having arrived in August I didn't attack the balconies directly as it was too late to do any serious gardening, and my resources felt a little stretched already with the move and all the other expenses that go along with a new appartement. 

In any case, a few months later, in the moderate climate that stuck around until about october last year, the dead stocks turned green and the leaves started to grow. 


This spring I was extremely excited to see a bud pushing itself up. It's perhaps a little hard to see here, but there's a little nubbin coming up through the v of the leaves.




I might add, I still wasn't sure, what, exactly was going to come out of these buds. My original thought was that it was an iris, but I had no real idea. It was a mystery plant, and any flowers at all were a lovely surprise.




Unfortunately I didn't get to appreciate the flowers all that much as the blinds are most often closed on that balcony, and studying for exams did not permit much quiet reflection out the window.

It was still very exciting that the surprise plant that we inherited came back so completely!

No comments:

Post a Comment