Friday 21 January 2011

The preparation

Well, christmas was set, and I realized I had a lot to do in 4 days, as well as going to the airport to get my mummy. So first things first, I decided to reorganize the living room, I mean, dining room.

I started by moving the christmas tree and the table and went over the space about 10 times with the vacuum. A necessary act as the christmas tree that I got for a "good price" had dried out almost completely by that time and everytime it was touched (or moved for that matter) a branch worth of needles would fall on the floor.


Midway through it was quite a mess. Along with the laudry that was still drying above the radiator.


The more or less final product, however, one might notice that there are a few chairs missing. Thankfully we have an incredible chair supplier, that has a relatively endless store of old bar chairs in his basement. The only problem is they have to be cleaned before they can be considered proper enough for use. Which I ended up doing christmas eve day. ALL DAY. and it went something like the following.


This was prior to the shower being turned on. It had been dowsed with an cleansing product usually used on tiles, and in the kitchen. Extra super heavy duty grease fighting cleaner. And this is what ensued...


Isn't that a wonderful colour? This is about 15 years of cigarette smoke coupled with 3 years of basement dust and grime running off the chair. The rinse and repeat method was implemented three or four times for each chair, and every time the same colour came off, well not the last time.

We are now the proud posessors of 10 rustic solid wood chairs.

For the space we have we may be considered a little chair heavy, but it's always good to have seats. In more ways than ever, I find myself taking after my mother. She has a very large collection of chairs. SHE however also has a basement to store them in, when they are not needed. We, however, find ourselves with chairs in every corner !

No comments:

Post a Comment